Join Chicago World Music Chorus directors Mollie Stone & Patty Cuyler as we join with our sister ensemble Boston Harmony and Village Harmony to inaugurate the Cross-Countries Choir, welcoming singers from wherever they hail and importing guest teachers from across the globe for a year hell-bent on exploiting the magic of virtual collaboration.
Each rehearsal will include an hour-long lesson with a specialist musician from somewhere around the world zooming in to teach us a song and talk about their music. We will also be working on a set of traditional and contemporary shape-note songs. Rehearsals will involve active participation, with a lot of call-and-response learning.
2020-21 Rehearsal Schedule
Rehearsals have been scheduled to take place on the second weekend of each month, with a 1-1/2 hour lesson on both the Saturday (from 7-8:30pm CT) and the Sunday (from 1-2:30pm CT) from September through April.
- September 12-13: Lonnie Norwood (Chicago) / Bongani Magatyana (South Africa)
- October 10-11: Nicholas Wiliams (Quebec) / Ketevan Mindorashvili (Georgia)
- November 14-15: Sandra Santos (Cuba) / Reza Saffari (Iran) [this Sunday's rehearsal begins at 11am ET/10am CT]
- December 12-13: Nadia Tarnawsky (Ukraine) / Olaolu Lawal (Nigeria)
- January 9-10: Emily Miller (Appalachian) / Samira Merdzanic (Bosnia)
- February 13-14: TBA / Frederic Vesperini (Corsica)
- March 13-14: Final guests TBA
- April 10-11: Review and virtual collaborations
Choir members will have unlimited access to Village Harmony's Thinkific learning platform, where recordings of each zoom lesson will be posted afterward for leisurely review. A full gamut of digital teaching materials will reinforce the live teaching for each song, with individual voice parts recordings, performance samples, pronunciation tracks, word sheets, translations, scores and a generous variety of digital background resources to dive into.
NOTE: If circumstances change and permit us to resume in-person rehearsals, the Chicago World Music Chorus would add live meetings on one Sunday afternoon each month from 1-4pm. Tentatively these could be: January 24 / February 7 / March 7 / April 18.
Tuition for the 16 sessions will be $250 for the year. A self-selected reduced tuition of $175 is available for those who need it.